image1 image2 image3

We Chose Grace

Down the Gravel Road


Just 3 blocks from my picture window, down that gravel road, nestled next to a grand oak tree lies my second child. We didn't move here last year to be near to her, but we couldn't have gotten any closer this side of heaven.

My soul feels settled in this little brick home around the corner from Amelia's spot. It's due in part to time, I'm sure. She would have turned 3 this month, and each day has a way of smoothing the rough edges of grief.




And then there's these two. That curly haired girl who's wiped her mama's tears on more than one dark night. And that boy...oh THAT BOY! With his shy small and gentle nature he reminded this dry, lonely family that God redeems.

There is still a box left unopened on a shelf in the corner, it's contents all a mystery. A lock of hair I've never seen, inky prints of feet and hands who's tiny size I barely remember and other treasures tucked away by sweet nurses who knew we'd need memories someday. Some day. But not today.

Today I followed behind that curly haired girl as she rode her bike around the corner from our little brick house. "Look, Mama at Amelia's spot! Isn't it beautiful?!" Today God lowered the sun just beyond Amelia's oak tree and my soul felt peace. Our family is whole here.

I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs.  -Isaiah 41:18




Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment